Tuesday, September 21, 2010

singing. also, chilli.

So I did something that scared the crap out of me today: I auditioned for the musical here on campus. It's "The Wedding Singer", a.k.a. my favorite movie of all time.  I've been debating trying out since last week or the week before, when I found out that's what the Musical Society was doing this season, but I just wasn't sure; Caitlin, Katelyn, Ellie and Talia really encouraged me though, so I went.  And to be honest, I'm really glad I did!  There were about 200 people auditioning, so I doubt I'll even get a callback, but regardless, it was fun to sing and dance for an hour and a half.  I did a scene where I was Julia's mom, Angie, and it was a total blast. I sang "Float On", by Modest Mouse because I couldn't think of anything else to sing, in all actuality.  Then we waited in this hot hallway for about fifteen minutes before we went into this REALLY hot room where we danced for about forty or forty-five minutes. I was really dreading it, given my propensity for tripping over my own feet but it actually went really well.  The dance was simple, but a lot of fun and very stereotypically ''musical", with the big hands and everything.  I felt okay with it, and when the choreographer was handing back our sheets he told me I did a "great job" and wasn't saying it to everyone, so I'm hoping that bodes well. 
It was super sketch walking back, so I tried to look very purposeful and not totally freaked to be walking home by myself in the dark with a dead cell phone.  It was SUCH a relief to get back to my apartment and start chopping veggies for chilli, which I made tonight. I used two sauces, tomato/chiles and sweet onion/rosemary and then browned about a pound or maybe 3/4 pound of this fantastic beef I got at the market and added a can of corn, two red peppers, six beefsteak tomatoes, half a head of broccoli, about 2 cups of golden raisins, three shallots, a handful of sweet basil and about a handful of thyme, and salt and pepper.  It was mind-blowingly good.  I still have tons left, which is of course the point to making chillies and casseroles and soups, and the like.
Two big accomplishments today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment